Tuesday 7 August 2007

TUBLAY- "ATHENS OF BENGUET"

Post 17: Lolo Ramon's Story:

Tublay started its township year 1900. Ora Juan Carino was the first Governor of Benguet on the said year. His brother, another son of Tublay, who helds in Baguio, Mateo Carino was the first representative of the Chief Executive of the American Insular Government 1902.

Bangilan Acop is the father of Fernando Cosalan, both former town representatives (mayor) of Tublay were the roots of Andres Cosalan who represented Baguio and Benguet in the Batasang Pambansa 1965 to 1984. Ronald Cosalan his son, also became the Congressman of Benguet 1995-2001. Just to name among the many Tublay breeds and with it's continues production of political leaders, Tublay was then dubbed as 'The Athens Of Benguet'. (Source: Tublay History: http://elgu2.ncc.gov.ph/tublay/index.php?cat1=2 and http://72.14.221.104/search?q=cache:1FFmmyU2czoJ:elgu2.ncc.gov.ph/benguet/index...

"1949, election for town representative (mayor seat) was held. The 'Lalakay' (elders) leaders of Ambassador gathered to encourage me in joining. Since the government was put up, my 'barangay' was never given a chance to occupy a seat. I never wanted that responsibility because Ambassador alone was hard to keep. But to their insistence, I gave in. " Ramon continues.

"Politics was dominated by the Carino-Acop-Cosalan clan since 1900. They were the giants in the political arena. They were my co-contenders aside from three other locals who were also their relatives. We were all 6 candidates compiting for mayorship."

"The voting system before was through "colors" because most voters can't read nor write. From a box, we the candidates will randomly pick a paper and the color that we got will represent us. The people would then cast into the ballot box their choice of color that represented their candidate."

"On the stage at the 'poblacion' during the election day. The six of us were seated with our respective color pinned on our chest. A white ribbon was so proud and brightly stuck on my left chest. I won at the end of the day. All the total votes of my 5 opponents added, would not beat my gained support. 1949 to 1952, I gave Acop's and Carino's a time to rest. I owe it to the Kankana-ey's stealing, the Ibaloi's would have not voted for me if not because of them."

"I then understood what my dream was telling me. It wasn't death after all but the beginning of me to stop driving the roads of Kabayan. It was for me to take the white feather and give a ride to the passengers of my hometown - Tublay"....

6 comments:

Anonymous

hello norissa, i've been visiting your blog for some time now and I am amazed at the old pictures you have posted.can't find much of such in our family albums anymore.
also, your posts about our hometown Tublay has caught my attention. Indeed, the Acop-Cosalan clan has manipulated the politics in Tublay, I guess until now, they're trying to live and follow the footprints their ancestors has left behind.
PS. I like your site and plan to add a link in mine. :)
Cheers, Jane

lovelyn

Thanks Jane!

Yeah, the Acop and Cosalan clan and I could say most of them are doing great in that field. Runs in the family as they say. Btw, bet you agree with me that most of them have exceptional brains, Sir Horacio Ramos and Lakay Andy are the best for me.

Jane, I'll be honored if you'll add me in your site. Coming from you, a brainy herself, must mean I'm doing something good here. Alang halong eklat yan ha, pure trueness!:-)

Cheers!

lovelyn

Jane, I forgot about the pictures.
Got some from our rotting albums back home and scanned them. Sayang nga e, daming nasira.

These old photos are becoming treasures as we grow older. One thing I realized about pictures. It shows that we were loved. I mean, just think of the feeling when you take your little daughter's photos. I'm sure when she'll grow up, she'll say my mom was really great!

Annie M. Cosalan

hi there lovelyn,

i stumbled upon your blog as i was searching the net for posts about andy cosalan, my dad (i'm his youngest child and ronnie cosalan my eldest bro).

it's truly inspiring - the way you have collected short anecdotes about your ancestry. i've been aching to do so in the past few years but haven't found the time to really sit down , collect my clan's old photos and write down our own story. i was born in baguio city but my family moved to manila when i was 2 years old. having spent most of my life there, i still have so much to learn about my dad's roots. someday i will, i hope.

thanks for sharing your blog.

annie
http://ibaloieye.multiply.com

Anonymous

hi there lovelyn,

i stumbled upon your blog as i was searching the net for posts about andy cosalan, my dad (i'm his youngest child and ronnie cosalan my eldest bro).

it's truly inspiring - the way you have collected short anecdotes about your ancestry. i've been aching to do so in the past few years but haven't found the time to really sit down , collect my clan's old photos and write down our own story. i was born in baguio city but my family moved to manila when i was 2 years old. having spent most of my life there, i still have so much to learn about my dad's roots. someday i will, i hope.

thanks for sharing your blog.

annie
http://ibaloieye.multiply.com

lovelyn

Ciao Ma'am Annie,

It would be very interesting to read about the roots of the famous "Cosalans", specially your Honorable Dad - one of the most influential political figure of the Cordilleras. A legend.

Our family have so much respect for him. He was always supportive and readily of help when my Daddy asks for it.

Thank you so very much for your time and for this comment. Such an honor to meet(virtually) someone from a family we look up to.

Blogger template 'PurpleRush' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008